Wednesday, April 11, 2018

cure my marfa burrito craving

One recent Saturday morning I was downtown at our local Red Stick Farmers Market with my dad. Hunger was setting in, but I couldn't find something for breakfast (even with all of the options). "You know what I really want? Marfa Burrito!" However, a thirteen hour drive was too far to make this request a reality.  The lines at familiar haunts were more than full so we went looking for any place with shorter lines.  


Breakfast to cure my Marfa Burrito craving.

My dad suggested La Morenita. I was in need of Topo Chico. ¡Vamanos! The food was delicious. They didn't have breakfast burritos, but my Marfa Burrito craving was fixed! I told Eric about this and his interest was peaked.  

La Morenita

Eric and I went back a couple of weeks later. This time for lunch. Eric tried several different tacos. He also broke out his Spanish and ordered like a (semi-) pro. I went with a different approach. Mostly pointing. When in doubt point. It's a skill that's gotten me through my life as a Third Culture Kid.

Eric's Tasty Tacos

Bellies full, we walked around the market. The produce is great. The ripe avocados are ready to be added to salads, sandwiches, or made into guacamole. The meat market looks good. I only sampled what was offered at the restaurant, so I can't wait to go back and bring a few things home. 


¡Sí, por favor!

The store is full of other goodies like pastries, canned goods, mixes and hot sauces. All are from Latin American cultures. Not everyone spoke fluent English, but everyone was friendly and helpful, so don't let that stop you from visiting. This was Eric's first time in a place were English wasn't spoken around him and he enjoyed it. It gave him a chance to break out those Spanish skills at the taqueria counter. 


Taqueria Area 

It wasn't Marfa Burrito, but what else is? Hint: nothing. However, it was delicious and it cured the hankering for delicious home cooked Mexican food. La Morenita, we'll be back!        

No comments:

Post a Comment